FOCUS: From the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.
We all know there are times when something “slips out” in our speech. There are times when we perform some questionable action or react more strongly than we intended. The Scriptures today alert us to the relationship of what is in our hearts and minds with what is on our lips. Only goodness can overcome evil and produce goodness – as incorruptibility and immortality overcome that which is corrupt and mortal, and as Jesus Christ overcame the sting of death.
Grant us, O Lord, we pray,
that the course of our world
may be directed by your peaceful rule
and that your Church may rejoice,
untroubled in her devotion.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God, for ever and ever
Sirach writes of revealing the qualities of things: pottery in a furnace, a shaken sieve, the fruit of a tree, and the speech of a person. In the second reading, Paul affirms Jesus’ victory over sin and death. In the Gospel, Jesus teaches that a person with a store of goodness in his or her heart produces good, while a store of evil produces evil.
What's in Your Heart
With confidence in God’s love and mercy, let us bring before him our prayers and petitions.
1) For the Church, may God’s grace empower us in our efforts to share the Gospel message, let us pray to the Lord.
2) For the salvation of the world, through the mercy of God may all come to know the Gospel message and the ways of righteousness and peace, let us pray to the Lord.
3) For those who experience addiction, may God’s grace come upon them, bringing healing to them and their families, let us pray to the Lord.
4) For all gathered here, may the Lord purify our hearts and minds and fill us with his goodness, let us pray to the Lord.
5) For the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God may they be with Christ in paradise, let us pray to the Lord.
Heavenly Father, in confidence we bring before you our petitions. In your love and mercy please answer them according to your will, we ask through your Son, Christ our Lord.
Our chief want in life is somebody who will make us do what we can.
—Ralph Waldo Emerson
You cannot teach a person anything. You can only help him discover it within himself.
I am not a teacher, but an awakener.
A teacher is not served by a student who does not surpass the teacher.
—Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Without confidence and love, there can be no true education. If you want to be love you must love yourselves, and make your children feel that you love them.
—Saint John Bosco
May the strength of God sustain us;
may the power of God preserve us;
may the hands of God protect us;
may the way of God direct us;
may the love of God go with us this day and forever.